The Restoration Hardware Shelves

The Restoration Hardware Shelves
 

Make sure you check out my new YouTube Channel, 
The Cutting Bored for future project updates!


About a year ago we finally upgraded our entire entertainment system in the living room, which kicked off a year of slowly redecorating our apartment to look nicer. 

CiRidyW.jpg

Materials Used for Project:
1 x 1" x 6" x 8' Whitewood
6 x Galvanized Pipe Nipple (8”L) (3/4" thick)
6 x 8" Galvanized Pipe Caps (3/4" thick)
6 x 8" Galvanized Pipe Flanges (3/4" thick)
Minwax Golden Oak
Extra Dark Left Over Stain (can't remember color)
Red Interior Paint (4 parts water, 1 part paint)
Textured Spray Paint
Matte Black Spray Paint
12 x Toggle Bolts (50lb/screw strength)

I did my homework online and quickly found that DIY was the way to go, as these types of shelves run for $200-300 a set. So I was off to Home Depot to buy the materials.

Using galvanized pipe pieces and textured and matte black spray paint, I built the six wall mounts. I then took a hammer, a screw driver, and nails and screws and distressed the wood as much as I could. I didn't want these shelves to look new and pristine. Lastly, with stain, paint, water, and sand paper, I managed to give the shelves some character. 

Then it came time for final assembly. I used toggle screws to mount to my drywall. The shelves were all 33", so relying on mounting to studs was out of the question. Using my leveler, a lot of measuring and checking, and masking tape, the shelves were finally hung. I was super happy with how they came out. I thought staggering them as they are looked better than just vertical shelves. 

Using my leveler, a lot of measuring and checking, and masking tape, the shelves were finally hung. I was super happy with how they came out. I thought staggering them as they are looked better than just vertical shelves. 

Below are some close ups of how they came out. For anyone wondering, the shelves sit freely on them and it works out great due to the textured paint - no need to secure.

Few pictures below of them up close and with them fully decorated (which took us another 8 months as we wanted to find little bits and pieces that worked well with the overall look and feel of the apartment). Hope you enjoy!

Tools used for this project:
Saw at Home Depot (first 10 cuts are free!)
RYOBI Power Drill
Hand Sanding Sponges  (120 grit)
Level
Hammer
Screw Driver + Screws (for distressing)

Thanks for reading!